A program that builds stronger next-generation leaders.
Designed for young professionals and up-and-coming leaders, Ignite Louisville teaches career-changing leadership competencies through a combination of training, intensive relationship and team building, and hands-on work with a local nonprofit. Offered twice a year (see program calendars), this 6-month program is a one-of-a-kind professional development experience that produces the skills, confidence, problem-solving abilities, and connections essential to realizing leadership potential.
Participants get top training from some of the region’s most high-profile corporations, then are put to the test with the Ignite Louisville Challenge: a hands-on team competition that applies effective teamworking principles through civic leadership projects (see the last set of projects here). Program days, deep networking, and nonprofit partnerships allow participants to forge relationships with a broader network of professionals and achieve heightened visibility within the community.
Applications for the next Ignite Louisville classes open December 13, 2021 and close January 28, 2022. Ready to apply?
Need more information? Join us for a Virtual Information Session on Jan. 11th from 5:30-6:30 p.m. (Note: This event was originally planned as an in-person event – however, it is now virtual due to current public health issues.)
Or schedule a quick 15-minute talk with our Engagement Specialist Aimee Jewell.
Who Should Apply
The Ignite Louisville program is designed for high-performing individual contributors and up-and-coming leaders who are on the path to significant leadership positions within their companies and organizations. The ideal Ignite Louisville candidate is an individual who is engaged, involved, and ready to make a positive impact both in their career and in their community. Applicants are typically between the ages of 25-45, with the average applicant in their mid-thirties. Leaders above and below this mean are invited to contact us and we can help you decide if Ignite Louisville is right for you.
Details and Tuition
- Time Commitment: Ignite Louisville is offered twice a year (April-October and October-April). Both programs include a mandatory two-day opening retreat, followed by one full program day per month and time spent working with a nonprofit partner in the Ignite Louisville Challenge civic leadership project. Participants are expected to attend all program days, so please check the program calendar to ensure the dates work for your schedule prior to submitting an application.
- Tuition: Tuition for Ignite Louisville is $4,200. This includes overnight retreat lodging, meals, and materials. We understand that this is a barrier for some, and encourage you to reach out to us for guidance on how to convince your employer to fund the cost of the program. If your employer is unable to support your participation financially, tuition assistance through Leadership Louisville Center is available based on need. You can request tuition assistance through your application form.
How Individuals Benefit
- Exclusive leadership development training from some of the area’s top employers. Past partners include Brown-Forman Corporation, Norton Healthcare, David Novak Leadership, the U.S. Army, and Kindred Healthcare.
- Unforgettable experiences and valuable new relationships with a diverse network of professionals.
- Recognition as a rising leader with demonstrated ability to take on leadership challenges and serve on civic boards and committees.
- Leadership lessons that can only be learned outside your comfort zone.
“Words cannot express the incredible experience I had in Ignite Louisville. I’m forever grateful for the countless relationships developed, the insights acquired, and the impact our class created.”
Raechele Gray, Endeavor Louisville
“Ignite showed me the power of diversity. My team of varied backgrounds, experiences, and strengths not only produced results beyond what I could have imagined, but also became life-long friends.”
Elizabeth Strehl, Humana Inc.
“This was the most powerful and impactful leadership program that I have been involved in. I absolutely loved this program. I was apprehensive about the time commitment, but quickly fell in love with the project and the program days, plus I had phenomenal teammates. This is seven months I’ll never forget.”
Wes Syndor MSD
“Ignite Louisville gave me friendships, confidence, and the ability to think outside of my usual perspective…The chance to learn about other industries made me a stronger leader in my company and the community, and I know that Ignite Louisville opened doors that would have otherwise remained shut.”
Lindsay Wehr, Kosair Charities
How Organizations Benefit
- Higher performing talent and increased leadership capacity – participants learn through 50 hours of professional development and nearly 100 hours in applied teamwork.
- Stronger employee engagement as graduates are better equipped for leadership roles within their company and are supported in their deeper involvement in the community.
- Valuable business connections with the region’s top corporations, including access to invaluable internal training programs of these organizations.
- Local recognition as an organization dedicated to growing the next generation of leaders in our community.
How to Apply
Applications for the next two cohorts (April – October 2022 and October 2022 – April 2023) will open on December 13, 2021 and close on January 28, 2022 . Our selection committee considers experience, community service, responses to essay questions, and approval from your employer/supervisor. The application consists of three parts:
- Online Application. Submit this form first.
- Supervisor Commitment Form. A form from your supervisor must be completed to be considered for the program. If you have more than one supervisor who would be impacted by your participation in Ignite Louisville, you must submit a commitment form from each of them.
- High Quality Photo (headshot). Please submit a photo that is at least 1200px wide and at least 200 pixels per inch resolution. The photo may be uploaded as part of your online application, or you can email your photo to Aimee Jewell at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have questions about the program? See Frequently Asked Questions about Ignite Louisville, attend our upcoming Information Session, or feel free to reach out to Aimee Jewell, and she’ll help you determine if this program is a good fit for you:
Or fill out this form and we’ll get back to you with more information:
Nonprofits interested in an Ignite Louisville Team
The most powerful aspect of the Ignite Louisville program is the service-learning component, in which teams of participants compete in the Ignite Louisville Challenge. Teams partner with local nonprofit organizations to put their leadership learning to work for the benefit of the nonprofit. If you are a nonprofit interested in having an Ignite Louisville team of your own, click here to learn more about how our organization can help you achieve your goals.