Only the Best Get an Encore
About the program
Launched in the fall of 2014, Encore Louisville is the Leadership Louisville Center’s newest civic program. The program is for experienced leaders who have spent decades of their career in leadership roles AND who want to share their wisdom and make our community’s nonprofits stronger. The program connects groups of senior leaders in an advisory capacity with worthy nonprofits that need help managing critical strategic issues. In this way, the Center makes it possible for our community’s star talent to be engaged in high-impact civic leadership and involved with their professional peers with a flexible, self-directed time commitment. Community nonprofits and all of those they serve gain expertise and assistance from the highest level community trustees.
“When I retired from Business First, I was looking for opportunities to give back without making a huge commitment of time. Leadership Louisville Center’s new Encore Louisville program fit the bill perfectly. It’s been great fun helping non-profits come up with solutions to some of their challenges. And I’ve been able to do it in a manageable amount of time with fellow retirees who I enjoy being with.”
Tom Monahan (EL ’15, LL ’92), retired president and publisher – Business First Louisville
“As a recently retired person who had been on a number of Boards over the years, I wasn’t interested in committing to a lot of new civic engagements. Encore Louisville was the perfect answer to still giving back but within a limited time frame. We have helped a number of non profits with specific problems, while getting to know other interesting, recent retirees–a great win-win.”
Craig Grant (EL ’15, BF ’97, LL ’91), retired regional president, Kentucky and Florida, PNC Bank
“I was interested in the 2015 Encore Louisville program from my very first exposure to the concept. My experiences in this first program year exceeded my expectations. I have been on a different team for each of the program periods – our projects included a shared service system implementation, a green building demonstration project and a cancer support organization. The time commitment was manageable and not a burden. I signed up for the 2016 program at the first opportunity.”
Chris Hermann (EL ’15, BF ’00, LL ’94), retired, senior vice president, LG&E and KU Energy
How individuals benefit
- Make a serious impact with a limited time commitment – Encore Louisville teams serve as consultants for a 12-14 week engagement with nonprofit organizations in the Louisville region
- Connect with like-minded senior community leaders
- Further your leadership legacy by sharing your wisdom and experience with those in need
How the community benefits
- Nonprofit organizations have a valuable new resource to tap for help with serious organizational and strategic issues
- The community benefits from the wisdom, expertise and connections of experienced civic leaders
The program will take place over 12 months, and involve four program days (one full and three half days.) Participants self-select to take part in one to three projects over the course of the year. Each of these projects will involve a maximum of 10-15 hours each.
Tuesday, January 23, 2018 (Orientation for new participants from 9-10 a.m., everyone 10 a.m.-3 p.m.)
Thursday, May 10, 2018, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Tuesday, August 14, 2018, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Tuesday, November 13, 2018, 1:30 – 5 p.m.
Who should apply
Encore Louisville is for experienced senior community leaders. Admission to the program is competitive. Applicants are typically over 50 and have significant leadership experience, including board and nonprofit involvement throughout their career. Some are retired or transitioning from their career, but many are still active in their professions.
Do I have to be a graduate?
You do not have to be a graduate of a Leadership Louisville Center civic program (Focus Louisville, Leadership Louisville, Ignite Louisville, Bingham Fellows, Encore Louisville) to participate in Encore Louisville. However, those who are not alumni must fulfill additional tuition requirements described below.
Because Encore Louisville is a professionally managed and facilitated program, there are significant administrative costs. Tuition does not cover all of the costs to manage this program, and we are dependent on sponsors and donors to make Encore Louisville possible. Tuition for this program varies based on alumni and membership status with the Leadership Louisville Center:
- Leadership Louisville Center alumni and contributing member – Tuition for the 2018 class is $175 (plus annual member dues)
- Non-graduate tuition options:
- Register and participate in Focus Louisville (tuition $600) along with Encore Louisville tuition ($175) and membership dues ($100 for Focus Louisville graduates). With this option, you can participate in any session of Focus Louisville (which happens four times per year) before the final session of Encore Louisville in November 2018. If the Focus Louisville tuition is a barrier, scholarship support can be requested. And trust us, you will LOVE Focus Louisville whether you are newer to the Louisville community or have lived here for your whole life.
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from a current or past Encore Louisville participant or any member of the Leadership Louisville Center board of directors. With this letter, participation in Focus Louisville is waived, however your first year of Encore Louisville will carry a $775 tuition. After your first year, you will be considered a program graduate and can join Encore at the regular rate (in addition to membership dues). You will also earn a credit good for participation in the Focus Louisville program should you choose to use it sometime during the year.
How to apply
The application deadline is extended to November 24, 2017. Considerations are credentials, expertise and board service.
How nonprofit agencies can get involved
The needs of the nonprofit organizations will be identified through a Request for Proposal (RFP) process. Learn more about what’s involved for nonprofit agencies.