Leadership Louisville is a 10-month experience with a 40-year legacy of excellence. The program is transformational for both participants and the organizations they lead. Through exclusive tours and hands-on experiences, participants fully explore and learn more about local government, education, economic development, and the arts.
You’ll see it all through the eyes of experienced area leaders who deal every day with our community’s biggest challenges. Armed with new knowledge, connections, and perspectives, our participants are prepared to take their places as effective community leaders.
The Leadership Louisville program year begins with a mandatory overnight opening retreat in August and concludes with graduation in May. During the program year, the class meets one day per month at varying locations in the Louisville community. During these program days, participants discover what makes our region distinctive, and learn the challenges and successes in government, education, economic development, social services, and the arts.
Participants enjoy unforgettable experiences and relationships that pay dividends personally and professionally. The connections made with classmates and the interaction with top community leaders adds value to this program well before graduation. You’ll walk away with a broader and deeper perspective on the city and your role in it. You’ll discover issues you are passionate about by experiencing them firsthand.
Organizations benefit in many ways:
- Participants meet new people, including fellow community leaders, establishing connections and expanding their circle of influence
- Company leaders establish relationships that will provide new opportunities to serve the community and deal firsthand with vital local issues
- The program provides participants with foundations to build a strong network, deepening individual connections to the community, and making them more committed leaders
The Leadership Louisville program is designed for experienced leaders who want to significantly increase their impact on their organization and their community.
The ideal candidate:
- Holds a senior title in their organization such as Partner, President, CEO, Executive Director, SVP, VP, Managing Director or Director
- Represents a notable organization in the region
- Is based in the Louisville region (including Southern Indiana)
- Has an interest in working with others to make Louisville a world-class community
Leadership Louisville participants must attend the mandatory overnight opening retreat in August and are expected to attend each of the nine program days. Program days are held once per month from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. on Tuesdays.
Leadership Louisville program tuition is $5,500, which includes overnight retreat lodging, meals, and materials for program days.
Scholarships are available based on need. The scholarship application is part of the online application. Be prepared to state the amount of scholarship requested and the reason you need a scholarship. Please note that the Leadership Louisville Center does not award full scholarships and at this time, can award a maximum of $2,750.
Scholarship requests are considered only after the class selection process is complete and will in no way impact consideration of your Leadership Louisville application.
As a long-standing policy, the Leadership Louisville Center does not disclose the exact number of applications for any of our programs. Acceptance into Leadership Louisville is a competitive process as we receive significantly more applications than spaces allotted. Each year, the number of applications increases, yet the number we can accommodate in the class remains constant – about 60 participants. Many Leadership Louisville participants will have applied multiple times before being accepted into the class.
Typical class size for Leadership Louisville is approximately 60 participants.
Applications for the Class of 2020 are open through May 13, 2019.
A completed Leadership Louisville application consists of several components:
- Two letters of recommendations submitted via an online recommendation form, which will be available on the Leadership Louisville page of the Leadership Louisville Center’s website.
- Completed online application form.
- Photograph suitable for print and online use.
Applications are not considered complete until these documents are submitted.
Participating in Focus Louisville can strengthen your application. Focus Louisville is a 2 1/2 day activity-filled program that offers everyone from newcomers to native Louisvillians a fascinating “insider’s” look at our community. It’s all designed to give attendees a more complete view and understanding of Louisville along with a better sense of how to put leadership into action.
Once you have submitted your application form and all other components, your application will be considered complete. A Leadership Louisville Center Selection Committee will determine who will be invited to join the class. By the end of June, you will be notified by letter if you are invited to join the class.